“A Taste of Spain in Los Angeles”
That’s thanks to Juana Gimeno Faraone, a native of Valencia, Spain, who settled in Southern California in 1967. And because it was so difficult to find an authentic paella to measure up to Faraone’s standards, in 1995 she began making her own, selling it Saturdays to customers who stopped by the shop to stock up on ingredients.
20 years later, paella Saturdays are still going strong at La Española, and this weekend, the 75-year-old Faraone herself happened to be working the pan. She has trained others to do the cooking, but still comes in every Saturday she’s in town to make sure it’s done to her standards. And regardless of whether she’s there or not, the paella is always made according to her recipe.
We are proud to bring you our Paella every Saturday! Prepared in a gigantic Paella pan in the back of our building, customers can order the seafood, mixta, chicken or the “house” varieties of this delicious dish. Please do not forget to preorder your paella and enjoy it here on our beautiful patio or take it home to share with family and friends! An all vegetarian Paella can be ordered with a minimum order of 10 portions with a two day notice.
Call ahead to reserve your spot, bring friends, get a bottle of wine, and sit back and enjoy the relaxed, welcoming atmosphere, and even practice your español with the Spaniards.
Every Saturday cooking the House Paella. Seafood, Mixta, Chicken and Vegetarian
- Best Best Spanish Artisanal Meat at LA Gem – Local Food Eater – Gerry Furth -January 5, 2017
- The 15 Best Places for a Paella in Los Angeles – Foursquare Lists • Published On: December 28, 2016
- Still celebrating paella Saturdays at La Española – Los Angeles Times – 2014
- La Española y Doña Juana – El Fogon de Polo – 2009
- La Española’s Paella Saturday: A Family Meal for Seventy – LA Weekly, LP – 2009